Background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Breakin' the fast...Breakin' the fast.

It's 10:30pm, and I'm making breakfast.

Since it's hot as hades with those little wavy heat lines that make me feel like my heart is going to explode, I've put the oven on a hiatus (much to its chagrin), and I've employed the slow-cooker. My fancy slow-cooker was won in a wonderful game of grab bag during my time at my cubicle job. I already had a thrift-store "Crock-a-Dial," that was (and still is) a lovely orange plaid, but this fancy automated jobby has a shut-off and a warmer. Also, I swiped this one from this bitch of a coworker that I used to have, and she was really mad. It's a win-win!

I love breakfast foods, especially casserole style, and making the Crockpot Breakfast Casserole allows me to have a bunch of meals with one round of cooking. It's not a fancy recipe by any means, but I'm finding that I grow fonder of this style of "peasant cuisine," (or whatever). This is also one of Dustin's favorite meals, and making it makes me think of him (when he reads this, he'll be jealous. Sorry Mr. Dustin). I've altered this recipe a bit from the original, but no matter what kind of ingredients you add or subtract, it's delicious! 

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
1 lb. Frozen Tator Tots (don't scoff, they're nothing more than potatoes with a delicious outer covering)
1/2 lb. Diced Canadian Bacon
2 Onions, chopped
1 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
6 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
2 Tablespoons flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional: 2 Tablespoons Brown Mustard and/or Tabasco Sauce

In a 4-5 qt. crockpot (I spray mine with a liberal layer of Pam), layer ingredients in order: one third tots, bacon, onions and then cheeses. Repeat two more times. Combine eggs, milk, flour and spices and pour over layers. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Usually, I wait too long to take it out of the cooker and the edges get nice and crispy, which is pretty sweet.

When I wake up tomorrow morning, the house will smell like breakfast. A breakfast that magically made itself overnight. Ahhh technology!Best Blogger Tips

1 comment: