Background

Monday, April 11, 2011

PO Box 346

I was walking to the Post Office this morning, and I noticed not one...but TWO individuals with air conditioners ablaze. Really?

From what I heard, because I was trapped in the candle shoppe all day yesterday, it was an especially warm day (considering that two days before everyone was wearing sweaters and boots). The indication of warm weather was inside the mall as well...as the tramp-wear was out in full force. Today, though, it can't be more than seventy-two degrees outside and the breeze is blowing nicely. With ceiling fans, open windows and doors, it's actually quite comfortable and pleasant.

An air conditioner? Now? It is my personal mission this year to do my best not to use air conditioning all summer. It is an expensive electricity waster (waster?) that recycles dirty and air spits it back out into my lungs. Rant over.

Because it's such a nice day, I started arranging the pots for the balcony garden, and I've decided that I definitely need more. I should be more concerned about the porch completely ripping off the house, but I'm throwing caution to achieve a completely retro garden.

I've started looking up different retro plants that are coming back in fashion, and I found this interesting article/video featuring my gardening crush: P. Allen Smith.

                      
He's probably gay and into crazy latex-bondage, but his gardening persona is totally attractive, and he seems like the kind of guy that I could call up with my personal gardening problems and he would come over and help me out. That is, if he's not in the middle of whipping a gimp his personal dungeon.

Anyway, I have this idea of planting all of the things that were popular in the fifties and sixties, including but not limited to, zinnias, marigolds, and coleus. My grandmother always planted marigolds as a means to ward off a lot of unwanted garden pests, but I really enjoy the variety of oranges, yellows and reds these flowers can be found in, and also their completely full blooms.

More than just the flowers, I'm also a big fan of weird gardening tschotskes and windchimes. I really enjoy found objects that are broken or unidentifiable that serve no actual purpose, other than to take up space and make my dad say something like, "What the hell are you doing with that thing? It's just SITTING there!" ha.


In this photo:

1. An Old Vase that a wayward pigeon got stuck in last year and my neighbor rescued.
2. An old lamp harp in the vase. This really ticked my Dad off, so it definitely stays.
3. That metal thing that was Dustin's but I have no idea what it is.
4. The cat's old scratching-post that they completely lost interest in and turned to all of my furniture for their scratching needs instead.

I'm also gaining a bit of a windchime obsession that I'm sure really enchants my neighbors.





These are from a really awesome trip to The Palace of Gold in Wheeling, WV, where we spent an afternoon with the Hari Krishnas.

Although I'm sure it's nothing more than a really tacky souvenir, it's a nice reminder of something that Dustin and I did together that most couples don't do, because they're really busy spending their Saturday nights at the mall, annoying the flying fuck out of me.




Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. My guess is that P. Allen Smith likes to have men shove their fists down his throat. I saw that in a cute film entitled The Dungeons of Europe. As a feminist, I'd be outraged if there'd been a woman in that movie, but hey, two guys...that's fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thoughts on air conditioning. There are times when it can't be avoided and I'd be a liar if I said I wan't grateful for it, but for the most part we choose to drink lots of water and take cool showers rather than run it.

    Crunchysews from Swap-Bot

    ReplyDelete